- Compatibility: AIR 3.1 and later (ActionScript 3.0)
- File Size: About 537Kb
- Change Log
- Fixed ActionScript error
.merlin is an Adobe AIR based utility. If you’re like me, and have a thousands of mis-labeled fonts scattered in endless folders, this utility is for you. I had a folder with roughly 7000 fonts, it would bring Windows to a halt just opening the folder. I also had a lot of duplicate fonts because they were all labeled incorrectly.
This utility will extract the actual font name, and rename the file based off of that. Then put that font into a folder of the first letter. So Arial would go in the “a” folder. While it’s processing fonts, it will display which font is being processed. Below the progress bar will update with the current font of the total being processed (ie. 15 of 200). If for some reason .merlin runs into any errors, it will stop processing fonts and report the specific font it had a problem with.
Some of the options you can configure for processing is to move, rename, or delete files. Each has a check box to enable or disable each.
- Read OTF font files.
- Read TTF font files.
- Read Type1 (AFM, PFM, PFB, INF) font files.
- Auto-update capability
- Open .merlin
- Select the folder which contains all of your fonts. This folder should have all the fonts and folders of fonts you want to organize. (It is recommended to use a copy of your fonts in case it doesn’t work properly. )
- Click the start button and wait till the finished message appears.
.merlin 1.12.0 for Adobe AIR 3.1 (March 9, 2014)
- Updated to Adobe AIR 3.1
- Updated to Flex 4.6
.merlin 1.11.0 for Adobe AIR 1.5 (June 11, 2010)
- Fixed ActionScript error
.merlin 1.10.0 for Adobe AIR 1.5 (May 18, 2010)
- Added donate button
- Can also sort by Family name
.merlin 1.9.0 for Adobe AIR 1.5 (March 30, 2010)
- Updated UI to match .whislter and .minerva
- Migrated back to unsigned certificate
.merlin 1.8.1 for Adobe AIR 1.5 (July 20, 2009)
- Fixed null file extension bug
.merlin 1.8.0 for Adobe AIR 1.5 (May 29, 2009)
- Improved Type1 support
- Fixed bug with OTF parsing
- Fixed processing of fonts, app no longer locks on processing lots (1,0000+) fonts
- Updated About window
.merlin 1.7.0 for Adobe AIR 1.0 (August 4, 2008)
- Now handles Type1 fonts : .pfb, .pfm (Partial support), .afm, .inf
- Can now choose whether to delete duplicates or not
- Restores file extensions based on internal file data
- Fixed rare issue where fonts would be renamed to nothing
.merlin 1.6.0 for Adobe AIR 1.0 (July 22, 2008)
- Smoothed images
- Embedded fonts for smooth text
- Restructured internal code
- Maintains file extension (ttf and otf)
- Updated installed program name
.merlin 1.5.2 for Adobe AIR 1.0 (July 15, 2008)
- Improved auto – update
.merlin 1.5.1 for Adobe AIR 1.0 (May 15, 2008)
- Removed status bar
.merlin 1.5 for Adobe AIR 1.0 (May 14, 2008)
- Added an auto-update feature
- Added an actual about window
- Now uses native menus
.merlin 1.0 for Adobe AIR 1.0 (February 25, 2008)
- Updated for Adobe AIR 1.0
.merlin 1.0 for Adobe AIR B3
- Initial release. Supports OTF and TTF font files.
Feel free to e-mail me a question. When you e-mail your question, please include pictures (if applicable) that clearly demonstrates the problem and provide a brief explanation.
Author: Gabriel Mariani, (e-mail: gabriel -at- coursevector.com)
Copyright 2014, CourseVector (This work is subject to the terms here.)